Comment on page
Globus is a secure, reliable research data management service. With Globus, subscribers can move, share, & discover data via a single interface – whether your files live on a supercomputer, lab cluster, tape archive, public cloud or your laptop, you can manage this data from anywhere, using your existing identities, via just a web browser.
Transfers are facilitated through endpoints. Endpoints are like collections pointing to a subscriber's specific datasets like his/her Google drive, a research share or a folder on a computer. A key advantage of the Globus system is the ability to share and transfer large datasets through endpoints at high speeds with people outside Brown. The external collaborators need only sign up for a free Globus account to be able to transfer data with ease.
Globus supports the following use cases:
- Users can move large datasets from their local machines to Oscar or between files.brown.edu and Oscar.
- Users can share large datasets with other users on Oscar who don't belong to the same group.
- Users can share their folders on Oscar with collaborators outside Brown to download and upload large datasets on the order of Terabytes.
- Users can share their folders with folks outside Brown to upload large datasets.
- Users can transfer data between institutions such as Brown and XSEDE facilities, and between institutions and their local machines.